Share This

Monday, May 14, 2012

FM Durham Tech Bytes: Content Calendar

I remember when I first started using Facebook to market myself.  To run a really effective Facebook business page, you need a lot of great content and diligent management.  This task felt daunting to me.  There was no way I was going to have enough time to run a decent business page.  This is the same feeling expressed by many of my agents when they first start to market themselves on Facebook.  I feel that organization and planning really helped me to reduce my fears of failure, and this is exactly what I coach my agents to do. 

Successful pages have a continual stream of new, interesting content that creates fan engagement and hopefully attracts new users to the page.  My advice for managing this process is to set up a content calendar that maps out every new page post you will do for the month ahead.  If you want to keep it simple, start by downloading a Microsoft Word or Excel calendar template.  Then type in the content you plan for that day. 

Here are a few ideas you may want to include in your content calendar:
  • Market stats
  • Slideshow video of your listings
  • Post photos or videos from a local event
  • Link to articles from the local paper
  • Post holiday greetings to your fan base
  • Link to blog posts or articles you are writing on your business site
  • Link to articles relevant to the real estate or mortgage industry
  • Information on community events and things to do
  • Videos on various topics related to the home buying or selling process
Also check out these successful Realtor run Facebook business pages for additional content ideas:
If you want to take things a step further and make your life a lot easier, try tools like TweetDeck, Hootsuite or Roost Publisher.  This way you can schedule your posts in advance and have them posted to your page at specific dates and times.

With with these helpful hints, you should be ready to get to marketing with Facebook!

Brandon L. Penny
bpenny@fmrealty.com
http://www.facebook.com/fonvillemoriseydurham
(919) 402-1201

1 comment:

  1. And don't forget to check back for responses, comments, activity too. Content is great! But, if you don't monitor it for engagement or stats, you won't know what's working and what's not. That's key!

    I use an EXCEL spreadsheet for our blog calendar every month and I schedule drafts/posts into my Outlook Calendar (WITH reminders too!).

    HUGE proponent of Tweetdeck or Hootsuite, though I prefer the owl. It's available at any computer at any time. Super convenient and I love the ability to customize it to my liking as well.

    Another GREAT post, Brandon!

    ReplyDelete