Share This

Monday, May 21, 2012

FM Durham Tech Bytes: Time to get Uncomfortable

I was recently talking with one of my agents about setting up a social media strategy for their business.  This agent was basically starting from scratch.  Every suggestion I would make, they would have some sort of excuse for why it wouldn't work, or why they couldn't do it.  I kept digging and digging with this agent until I got to the core of their push back.  They were just uncomfortable with the technology, and they felt awkward doing it.  This is something I find to be common in a lot of agents.

In our office, I am known as the guy to go to with technology questions.  One would think I was very comfortable with technology.  This could not be further from the truth.  When it comes to technology, I stay uncomfortable.  This is because it is constantly changing.  Tools, apps, platforms, devices and even the strategies involved to make them proficient change so rapidly you can't possibly know all there is to know.  So why go crazy and get overwhelmed before even trying?

The solution for my agent, and many agents out there is just to get uncomfortable!  Here are a few tips to help you do that:
  • Identify your content strategy...what do you have to offer?  What do your clients need from you?
  • Use dropbox to store your files in the cloud, or Oxygen (our new cloud-based storage) for our agents
  • Start using a social media dashboard like Hootsuite to manage your social platforms
  • Trim the fat on your social platforms & unfriend or unfollow those that don't add value to your network
  • Friend or connect with at least 3 new people on your social platforms
  • Engage on your social networks.  Start by liking and commenting on at least 3 posts on Facebook, then give two recommendations on Linkedin
  • Stop playing Angry Birds on your iPad and put it to use in your business.  Try creating a listing presentation on it and using it on your next appointment.
  • Create a 30 second video and upload it to youtube.  It can be for a listing, or to tell a client story.
These are just a few suggestions for you to start getting uncomfortable with technology and to start doing business today!  Good luck!

Brandon L. Penny
bpenny@fmrealty.com
http://www.facebook.com/fonvillemoriseydurham
(919) 402-1201


1 comment:

  1. GREAT tips, Brandon! It's all about the strategy. Define that first...and you tackle some of it with your first bullet point (I cover all of it in my classes for Fonville Morisey agents. Shameless plug there.).

    I'd also like to share the video series that I just finished wrapping up in partnership with rAVe Publications too. Good tips by video as well. This is Tip #5 but I included this link because it includes Tips 1-4 as well. Hopefully, your readers will get something out of it too.

    http://www.ravepubs.com/ravesmb/social-media-video/rave-smb-tip-of-the-week-tip-five-in-the-top-five-ways-to-get-started-in-social-media/

    Keep up the good work, Brandon! I'm enjoying this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete